In-Person Winter Hide Work
February 10 to 12, 2023, I will be hosting In-Person Winter Hide Work at my home south of Sioux Lookout, Ontario. We will gather at 3 p.m. on the 10th, and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the next two days. This is the second season of my in-person 4-Season Moose Hide Tanning program and the last winter session I am hosting.
The work involved will be:
- Stretching 2 moose hides onto frames
- Frost scraping hair and grain on one hide
- Frost scraping membrane on one hide
- Thinning hide one hide
- Sharpening tools used
- Respect the space and people you're sharing it with
- Be outside the entire time & dressed for the weather (wear layers)
- Be responsible for your transportation, meals and beverages
- Use an outhouse for toileting
- Be vaccinated against COVID-19 (if you're feeling sick, please stay home)
For this session, we will be working on two moose hides. This will be a good amount of work for up to 6 people. At this time, I do not have a capacity limit. If there is a lot of interest in attending, I will either limit capacity or plan to work on more hides.
Registration is closed for the February 10-12 Winter Hide Work session. Please keep an eye out for Spring & Summer Hide Work sessions.
This event is intended for and free to individual learners. If you work with an organization and have a budget for teachings like this, please consider hiring me to present to your group.
Miigwech / thank you for your interest in working on moose hide with me! I find hide work is a great way to be outside during the winter.
I acknowledge the support of Canada Council for the Arts. It is with their support of this project that I am able to offer this at no cost to participants.